Memorial Day is a federal holiday in the US that is observed every year on the last Monday in May. It’s a day dedicated to remembering those who died while serving in the US’s armed forces. On this day, we not only reflect upon the great sacrifice these men and women gave to their country, but to also celebrate their lives.
Memorial Day was formerly known as Decoration Day. It began after the American Civil War to honor both the Union and Confederate soldiers who died in the war. The day was extended after World War I to honor all Americans who have died while in military service.
This Memorial Day weekend be sure to not only honor those who past while in service to protect our great nation, but to also include your senior loved ones in Memorial Day activities. Here in Louisville, there is a vast amount of military culture surrounding us, and many ideas and ways to spend Memorial Day with your senior loved ones.
Here are a few ways to observe Memorial Day with seniors:
- Visit memorials – like the Patriots Peace Memorial located off Zorn Avenue, on River Road link: https://allbesthomecare.com/military-places-louisville/
- Visit cemeteries and place American flags on the graves of our fallen heroes – like the Zachary Taylor National Cemetery and Cave Hill National Cemetery. On Memorial Day, the National Cemetery Administration will host ceremonies at VA national cemeteries, like at Zachary Taylor and Cave Hill, across the country. Each cemetery and community will add their own special touch of patriotism and “thanks” during the events.
- Participate in the “National Moment of Remembrance” at 3pm, local time, to pause in an act of national unity for a duration of one minute
- Fly the US Flag at half-staff until noon
- Fly the ‘POW/MIA Flag’ as well
- Have a red, white, and blue themed picnic outside if the weather allows
Just remember to bring an umbrella this Memorial Day Weekend! The forecast in the Louisville, KY area calls for rain this weekend.
This Memorial Weekend may be a great time to discuss care for you or your aging loved ones. All Best Home Care offers a wide variety of home care services for elderly individuals. Please feel free to give us a call at (502) 456-2273 to learn more about the help we can provide.